Wednesday, 1 July 2015

There's only one first time, let's make it count!

Welcome to my food blog! It's been a dream of mine for ages to share my thoughts on the Cape Town food scene, and seeing as though today we have officially made it past half way through 2015, I've made it my Half Year's resolution to turn this dream into reality.

My hope is that I can inspire your love for food and set you off to explore the wide foodiverse that Cape Town has to offer. From fancy upmarket restaurants to local pubs and more, there is such a diverse and wonderful food culture that comes alive in Cape Town, and if you're interested, I'm going to tell you all about it!

Restaurant of the day today is Tasha's in Canal Walk. A smallish arena inspired by the Great Gatsby and art deco is nestled snugly into the hustle and bustle of one of Cape Town's biggest malls. Once seated, I soon forgot about the shops around me as I was transported into a blissful flavour adventure...

The American quessidilla that I ordered comes as a tortilla folded over sweet pulled pork, sliced jalapeƱos and a tasty slaw. To sweeten the deal even more, a generous side of guacamole accompanied my quessidilla delight. Each mouthful was sublime, and the portion size was perfect for a hungry lunch time customer such as myself. I also enjoyed adding some of the complimentary blended green chilli to my meal to give it an extra kick.

My dining partner, Jenna, ordered the beef ravioli, which was cooked in olive oil and served with sundried tomatoes, pumpkin seeds, crispy sage, sliced parmesan and a herbed crustini. This, too, was scrumptious. The ravioli was flavourful and textually robust - no skimping on the meaty filling and the simple olive oil sauce paid homage to the great flavours supplied by the other ingredients.

To round off our meal, we enjoyed a tasty americano with hot milk. As my first time drinking coffee without sugar, I can say I really appreciated the malty flavour of the coffee, something I've never noticed about coffee before. I feel as if I've stepped up a level in flavour appreciation. Sugar is too addictive anyway, so why not cut it out when we can!

The service was decent and the staff work well as a team. Compliments to the hard working chefs and barristers that remain in the background! You the real MVP!

In terms of cost, the menu is a bit pricey but the quality and quantity of food meets the price. You pay for what you're getting and it's well worth it.

If you're dying for some tasty goodness and have some time to spare, I can highly recommended this place to you for your next trip out to Canal Walk.

Thanks for reading my first ever blog! Keep watching for more news on Cape Town food and feel free to share this with your homies.

I wish you a blessed and joyous day ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment